Djerassi Resident Artists Program derives its magic from the land upon it is situated, and the spaces we provide. Without those elements, the creative individuals who come to reside here would not be able to have the rejuvenating experience they need. This place is what provides inspiration and the space to be creative. As such, we have an obligation to care for the land that has provided us so much. We need help in this effort and would love the support of nature and art lovers alike.
Share your love of art and nature with others as a volunteer Hike Docent. As part of our Sculpture Hike program, Docents share information about the natural environment, lead groups on informational hikes and receive training on the history of the 60+ sculptures on the property, the flora and fauna AND how to effectively lead groups of hikers.
Volunteer Docent Requirements:
- Docents must commit to participating in at least two hikes per season.
- Docent training is monthly.
- Docents must be at least 18 years of age.
Environmental Steward volunteers assist Program staff with trail maintenance, habitat restoration, fencing and cleanup projects on the Ranch. Individuals can either volunteer on a regular basis or participate in specific work days that require larger groups.
- No previous experience is necessary.
- Youth volunteers (age 14-17) are welcome, accompanied by a parent or guardian. Youth organizations are also welcome.
- Trainings will be provided on a monthly basis for new Environmental Stewards.
Special Projects and Events
Special project volunteers use their unique skills to benefit the environment and engage the art community, including but not limited to: conducting plant or wildlife inventories, language translation at public events, updating maps, photographing events or assisting with organizational tasks in the Program’s administrative office. We also host plenty of events off of the mountain, and need additional people to assist us. If these kinds of activities are of interest to you, please consider volunteering for us in this capacity.
- Gain new skills and knowledge
- Meet new and interesting people
- Attend volunteer appreciation events
- Know you’ve made a positive difference in the lives of artists and creative scientists.
- Be a part of preserving the ecological integrity of the Bay Area.
- Hike the property, with notice, whenever you wish with up to 3 other people.
- Host your own Private Hike on the property with a 50% discounted Private Hike Fee for hike participants
- Free Djerassi merchandise
- 2 free tickets to our Open House event
- 2 free seats for an intimate dinner with artists during their residency